For Immediate Release
November 15, 2012
Contacts: Laura Ours, 301-405-5722 or email@example.com
Dr. Hoda Mahmoudi Presents UMD's Baha'i Chair for World Peace Inaugural Lecture
- Baha'i Chair Inaugural Lecture Event - University of Maryland
- Friday, November 16, 2012 7-9 p.m.
Program Reception to Follow.
- The University of Maryland's Adele H. Stamp Student Union, Colony Ballroom
- A scholar of international renown, Research Professor Hoda Mahmoudi is the third incumbent of the Baha'i Chair for World Peace at the University of Maryland. The Chair is an endowed academic program that advances interdisciplinary examination and discourse on global peace.
As the Baha'i Chair professor, Dr. Mahmoudi develops a sound scientific basis for knowledge and strategies that explore the role of social actors and structures in removing obstacles to peace and creating paths to a better world.
Dr. Mahmoudi, who joined the university in July 2012, will offer remarks on the action she will take in her new role toward promoting international peace and understanding. She will be joined by distinguished guests including prominent members of the international Baha'i community
Welcoming remarks will be presented by College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Dean John Townshend; a statement will be made by Mr. Ken Bowers on behalf of The National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha'i of the United States of America; videotaped remarks will be offered by Judge Dorothy W. Nelson Senior Circuit Judge United States Court of Appeals 9th Circuit; remarks will be given by Professor Suheil Bushrui, UMD's George and Lisa Zakhem Kahlil Gibran Chair for Value and Peace; the Inaugural Lecture will be presented by Professor Hoda Mahmoudi, Bahá'í Chair for World Peace. A reception follows.
- John Townshend, Dean of UMD's College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Hoda Mahmoudi, third incumbent of UMD's Bahá'í Chair For World Peace
- Ken Bowers, representative of The National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United States of America
- The Hon. Dorothy W. Nelson, Senior Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals 9th Circuit (video presentation)
- Professor Suheil Bushrui, UMD's George and Lisa Zakhem Kahlil Gibran Chair for Value and Peace
- Media coverage is welcome. Please RSVP to Laura Ours at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance. A mult box will be provided. Parking is available next to the Stamp Student Union in the Union Lane Garage. Get a map here.
The Baha'i Chair Inaugural Lecture Event will be streamed live.
For more information, contact:
College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Communications
Baha'i Chair Lecture