For Immediate Release
June 27, 2007
Contacts: David Ottalini, 301 405 4076 or email@example.com
Harry Clifton "Curley" Byrd - 1889-1970
- A New Exhibit About The Life and Career
- of Maryland's Harry Clifton "Curley" Byrd.
- July 6 - September 30, 2007. Hours:
Monday through Saturday,10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The J. Millard Tawes Historical Museum, 3 Ninth St., Crisfield, Maryland.
Slideshow of the exhibit being assembled and Byrd resting place.
- The University of Maryland and the Crisfield Heritage Foundation have come together to create a new exhibit to honor one of Crisfield's best-known native sons.
The exhibit celebrates the life and career of Harry Clifton Byrd, Class of 1908, and president of the University of Maryland from 1935 to 1954. Byrd was born in Crisfield on February 12, 1889. He spent his early life there, graduating from Crisfield High School in the spring of 1905 and enrolling in the Maryland Agricultural College (M.A.C.) the succeeding fall.
The show includes numerous images and objects chronicling Byrd's life and is divided into four sections:
- Family Life
- Student, Athlete, and Coach
- University of Maryland President
- Political and Civic Career
The materials in the exhibit are drawn from the holdings of the University of Maryland's archival and manuscript collections, including personal papers from Harry Clifton Byrd and his son, Sterling, and official university records.
The exhibit is part of the first-ever
Curley Byrd Music Festival that will be held in Crisfield on July 7.
See the WMDT-TV PSA about the event.
The Board of Directors of the Crisfield Heritage Foundation and The Alumni Association of the University of Maryland are hosting an opening reception on July 6 at 6 p.m. University Archivist Anne Turkos will reflect on the life and career of Byrd during a presention that begins at 7 p.m. Reservations are required for the reception. Please RSVP
to 410-968-2501 no later than July 1 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Media coverage is welcome.
- For more information, contact:
Senior Media Relations Associate
University of Maryland
Crisfield Heritage Foundation