For Immediate Release
April 25, 2006
Contacts: Ellen Ternes, 301-405-4621 or firstname.lastname@example.org
UM Hosts Forum on Oil Production and Environment
Read more about University of Maryland participation
Read about UM grad student who launched the summit.
- WHAT: The University of Maryland Sustainable Development and Conservation Biology Program will host Sustainable Energy Forum 2006, to look at oil and America's energy future. In keeping with the Forum's theme, "Peak Oil and the Environment," leading national and international sustainability thinkers will discuss the implications of global oil production constraints for climate and economic stability.
- WHO: Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer; Congressman Roscoe Bartlett (R-Md); Lester Brown, Earth Policy Institute; Mona Sahlin, Sweden's Minister for Sustainable Development; James Hansen, Director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies; Michael Klare, Director of Peace and World Security Studies at Hampshire College; Herman Daly, professor of public policy, University of Maryland; and others. Topics include life after oil, biofuels, impacts of continued fossil fuel use on the climate and ecosystems, and America's growing vulnerability to geopolitical conflict as a result of global competition for oil. The conference is sponsored by Wallace Global Fund, Sustainable Scale Project, Natural Resources Defense Council, and NRG Systems. The University of Maryland Sustainable Development and Conservation Biology Program is a graduate level program in conservation biology and development, aimed at creating leaders to address the planet's biodiversity crisis.
- WHEN: Sunday, May 7- Tuesday, May 9. See online schedule for conference agenda - http://www.beyondpeak.org/Agenda.html
- WHERE: The Marvin Center, 800 21 st Street NW, Washington, DC
- MEDIA: Media is welcome. Interviews with presenters can be arranged. There is also a press conference, Thursday May 4, 10:00-10:30 AM, Cannon House Office Bldg Terrace, New Jersey & Independence . Appearing will be Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD, Tom Udall (D-NM),Mark Udall (D-CO), Lester Brown, President, Earth Policy Institute, Dan Lashof, Deputy Director, NRDC Climate Center, Roger Bezdek, President, MISI. Contact Lisa Lyons Wright, 202-225-2417.
- MORE INFORMATION: Conference website: http://www.beyondpeak.org/
CONTACT: Megan Quinn, Sustainable Energy Forum, (937) 260-2377, SEF06@umd.edu