2007 University Rankings
Times of London Higher Education Supplement
A ranking of the World's Top 200 Universities.
The Times ranked UM No. 79 among world universities.
Within these rankings, UM's place among U.S. schools:
- No. 30 among all universities
- No. 7 among flagship institutions
- No. 11 among U.S. public universities
The Princeton Review and Entrepreneur Magazine's Top 50 Entrepreneureal Colleges Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
Fortune's Best Colleges for Entrepreneurs
- UM is No. 14 among undergraduate programs and No. 18 among graduate programs.
It is among only 12 schools to make the Top 25 in both classifications.
Fortune Small Business Magazine ranks UM as one of the 'America's Best Colleges for Entrepreneurs.'
Wall Street Journal Best Business Schools
UM is one of (26) grad schools that 'blend real-world small-business know-how with top academics.'
At UM, 'even freshmen have visions of startups at these top spots (25 schools).
The Journal ranks the Smith School of Business No. 10 among the world's "Regional" schools. ("Regional" is a category of schools that traditionally attract business recruiters from their own region or nation.)
15 Green Colleges and Universities
Smith is ranked No. 8 among all the world's business schools in "Information Technology."
Institute of Higher Education (Jiao Tong University, Shanghai) World's Top 100 Universities Ranking
Grist Magazine ranks UM as one of the Top '15 Green Colleges and Universities.' UM is the only U.S. state flagship university so named.
The Institute of Higher Education ranks the world's top universities, based on research.
U.S. News & World Report Undergraduate Rankings, Top Public Universities
- UM ranks No. 37 in the world, up from No. 57 three years ago
- UM ranks No. 8 among U.S. Flagship univerisites
- UM ranks No. 28 among U.S. schools
- The university is 18th in the ranking of national public universities.
- With the release of these rankings, Maryland has 29 programs overall in the magazine's Top 10 rankings (undergraduate and graduate), and 90 programs in Top 25 rankings.
The Smith School of Business is ranked No. 21.
Programs to Look For
- Entrepreneurship specialty ranked 11th
- Management Information Services specialty ranked 7th
- Supply Chain Mgt/Logistics specialty ranked 7th
- Production/Operation Mgt. specialty ranked 16th>
- Finance specialty ranked 18th
- Management specialty ranked 18th
- Quantitative Analysis specialty ranked 12th
- Marketingspecialty ranked 18th
- The Clark School of Engineering is ranked No. 25 (among schools whose highest degree is a doctorate).
- Aerospace Engineering specialty ranked 10th
- Computer Engineering specialty ranked 20st
U.S. News also ranks "a list of schools with outstanding examples of academic programs that are believed to lead to student success." There are eight categories, with UM ranked in these five. Schools of all sizes make up these rankings. (UM is one of only four schools to be ranked in as many as five categories.)
Diverse: Issues in Higher Education Graduate Rankings
- First-Year Experiences (40 ranked schools, no numerical rankings): "Orientation can only
go so far in making a freshman feel connected. Many schools now
build curriculum first-year seminars or other academic programs
that bring small groups of students together with faculty or staff on
a regular basis."
- Learning Communities (36 ranked schools): In learning communities, students
typically take two or more linked courses as a group and get to know one
another and their professors well. Some learning communities are also
- Service Learning (38 ranked schools): "In service-learning programs, required
(or-for-credit) volunteer work in the community is an instructional
strategy. What's learned in the field bolsters what happens in class
and vice versa."
- Study Abroad (55 ranked schools): "Programs at these schools involve substantial
academic work for credit--a year, a semester, or an intensive experience
equal l to a course --and considerable interaction with the local culture."
- Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects (66 ranked schools): "Independently or
in small teams, and mentored by a faculty member, students do intensive
and self-directed research or creative work that results in an original
scholarly paper or other product that can be formally presented on or
In the annual report on graduate programs, the university made the following rankings for 2007:
- African American degrees, No. 13
- Total Minority degrees, No. 16
- Total Asian American degrees, No. 13
- Hispanic degrees, No. 36
- African American Education, No. 32
- Asian American Education, No. 7
- Afican American Engineering, No. 6
- Asian American Engineering, No. 17
- African American Social Sciences and History, No. 6
- Asian American Social Sciences and History, No. 11
- Hispanic Social Sciences and History, No. 8
- Total Minority Master's, No. 71
- African American Master's, No. 83
- Asian American Master's, No. 45
- American Indian Master's, No. 69
- African American Biology, No. 33
- American Indian Business, No. 17
- Asian American Business, No. 29
- Asian American Education, No. 40
- African American Engineering, No. 15
- Asian American Engineering, No. 32
- Hispanic Engineering, No. 40
- African American English Language & Literature/Letters, No. 12
Diverse: Issues in Higher Education Undergraduate Rankings
- African American Social Sciences & History, No. 26
- Hispanic Social Sciences & History, No. 33
UM is again one of the strongest producers of minority degrees among all colleges and universities, especially on the list of Traditionally White Universities.
UM increased it minority undergraduate degrees, from 1871 to 1891. African American undergraduate degrees dipped slightly, 669 to 661, but UM is No. 13 among all U.S. TWI institutions and No. 1 among the U.S. News & World Reports' Top 25 Public Universities.
Asian American degrees rose from 877 to 893; Hispanic degrees rose from 310 to 347.
Association for Computing Machinery
- Total Minority Degrees No. 26, 1,891
- African American Degrees, No. 24, 661
- Asian American Degrees, No. 21, 893
- Hispanic Degrees, No. 71, 347
- Total Minority Agriculture, Agriculture Operations and Related Sciences, No. 17
- African American Agriculture, Agriculture Operations and Related Sciences, No. 27
- Asian American Agriculture, Agriculture Operations and Related Sciences No. 13,
- Hispanic Agriculture, Agriculture Operations and Related Sciences, No. 11
- Total Minority Area, Culture & Gender Studies, No. 42
- African American Area, Culture & Gender Studies, No. 13
- Total Minority Biological and Biomedical Sciences, No. 11
- African American Biological and Biomedical Sciences, No. 7
- Asian American Biological and Biomedical Sciences, No. 12
- Hispanic Biological and Biomedical Sciences, No. 43
- Total Minority Business, Management, Marketing & Related Support Services, No. 48
- Asian American Business, Management, Marketing & Related Support Services, No. 23
- Total Minority Computer and Information Sciences and Support Service, No. 17
- African American Computer and Information Sciences and Support Service, No. 44
- Asian American Computer and Information Sciences and Support Service, No. 14
- Total Minority Education, No. 44
- Asian American Education, No. 11
- Total Minority Engineering, No. 14
- African American Engineering, No. 7
- Asian American Engineering, No. 16
- Hispanic Engineering, No. 37
- Asian American English Language, Literature/Letters, No. 26
- Minority Mathematics and Statistics, No. 32
- African American Mathematics & Statistics, No. 16
- Asian American Mathematics and Statistics, No. 34
- Minority Physical Sciences, No. 39
- African American Physical Sciences, No. 48
- Asian American Physical Sciences, No. 30
- Asian American Psychology, No. 50
- Minority Social Sciences & History, No. 8
- African American Social Sciences & History, No. 3
- Asian American Social Sciences, No. 11
- Hispanic Social Sciences, No. 19
- Native American Social Sciences and History, No. 46
The Princeton Review
- UM is ranked No. 2 among computing graduate programs, second to Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The ranking is based upon articles published by faculty and participation in professional conferences.
U.S. News & World Report Graduate Rankings
- UM is ranked among America's Best Value Colleges
Smith School of Business
Business ranked 25th
- The entrepreneurship specialty ranked 19th
- The information systems specialty ranked 6th
- The part-time MBA ranked 11th
- The supply chain/logistics speciality ranked 12th
- The management speciality ranked 22st
- The marketing specialty ranked 25th
- The production/operation speciality ranked 23rd
College of Education
- Education ranked 21th
- The administration/supervision specialty ranked 16th
- The counseling and personnel services specialty ranked 1st
- The education policy specialty ranked 15th
- The curriculum and instruction specialty ranked 13th
- The education psychology specialty ranked 5th
- The elementary education specialty ranked 10th
- The higher education administration specialty ranked 12th
- The rehabilitation counseling specialty ranked 9th
- The secondary education specialty ranked 14th
- The special education specialty ranked 10th
Clark School of Engineering
- Engineering ranked 16th
- The aerospace engineering specialty ranked 11th
- The computer engineering specialty ranked 18th
- The electrical engineering specialty ranked 16th
- The civil engineering specialty ranked 20th
- The mechanical engineering specialty ranked 20th
Institute of Higher Education (Jiao Tong University, Shanghai) World's Top 100 Universities Rankings by Broad Subject Fields
In early 2007, as a follow-up to the Institute's overall 2006 ranking of the world's research universities, it releases rankings based on "Broad Subject Fields."
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics, UM is No. 23 in the world and No. 18 among U.S. schools.
- Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences, UM is No. 13 and No. 13 among U.S. schools.
- Social Sciences, UM is No. 18 and No. 17 among U.S. schools.
The U.K.'s Financial Times ranked the Smith School of Business No. 17 in the U.S. and No. 30 worldwide.
In worldwide rankings, Smith was:
In rankings among the U.S.'s Top 25 business schools, Smith was also:
- No. 5 in research
- No. 8 in women board percentage
- No. 2 in "Value for the Money"
- No. 2 in "Placement Rate"
Peace Corps Rankings of Top Colleges and Universities
Kiplinger's 100 Best Values in Public Colleges
- UM is 12th among Large U.S. Colleges and Universities.
The university is 23rd among the Top 50 in rankings of the best values in public education.
- The university is 23rd for best value when rated on out-of-state tuition fees.
- The university is 20th for four year graduation rates.
- The university is 25th for lightest debt load.