For Immediate Release
May 15, 2008
Contacts: David Ottalini, 301 405 4076 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Groundbreaking Ceremony Set for New Knight Hall Journalism Building
- Groundbreaking event and reception- John S. and James L. Knight Hall, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, University of Maryland.
See a video of the groundbreaking ceremony.
- Thursday, May 22, 2008, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
The Knight Hall groundbreaking ceremony will be in lot AA next to the Tawes Theater. Click on the photo for a larger image.
- Parking lot AA, next to the Tawes Theater.
- The Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland will hold a ground breaking ceremony to celebrate construction of the new John S. and James L. Knight Hall. The new state-of-the-art journalism building is being named after the Knights, who have donated more than $20 million through their foundation to the University of Maryland over that past two decades.
The Merrill College, named after a $10 million gift by the late Annapolis publisher Philip Merrill, offers undergraduate, master and Ph.D. degrees in journalism. It operates several professional development programs, including the Knight Center, J-Lab, the Casey Journalism Center on Children and Families and the Hubert H. Humphrey Journalism Fellows Program , and is home to the National Association of Black Journalists and the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors . The College operates Capital News Service, a daily news wire staffed by students at bureaus in Annapolis and Washington, D.C., that provides hundreds of news stories each year to newspapers across the region. The school also runs UMTV, the university's cable TV station that reaches more than 500,000 households in suburban Washington.
Read more online at the Knight Hall Web Page.
- Media coverage is welcome. Parking is available in lot 1 on campus.
See an interactive map for more details.
- For more information, contact Matt Sheehan at 301-405-8320 or Dave Ottalini at 301-405-4076.